NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Managing Stress at Work
Who is the qualification designed for?
The qualification is suited to anyone responsible for managing and reducing work-related stress within
their organisation. This includes line managers, Human Resource employees, occupational health workers and health and safety professionals.
Benefits for students
The NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Managing Stress at Work qualification will give you the knowledge to be able
to recognise the causes and effects of stress; identify work-related stress risks within your workplace; and apply suitable interventions to prevent and reduce stress.
The syllabus and accompanying learning materials have been developed by NEBOSH, in conjunction with Great
Britain’s Health and Safety Regulator, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and are based on published HSE guidance.
You will learn:
• The business case for addressing workplace stress and associated mental health issues.
• The legal requirements, roles and responsibilities for managing workplace stress.
• How to recognise the signs and effects of workplace stress.
• How to identify the six aspects of workplace design which can cause workplace stress and mental ill health.
• How to apply the HSE’s Management Standards approach to identify and assess work-related stress
• How to develop suitable interventions to reduce the causes and effects of workplace stress.
Benefits for employers
The NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Managing Stress at Work
will help you to:
• Have confidence as your team will be trained in HSE’s current approach to managing and controlling stress
• Ensure your organisation has valuable in-house expertise for recognising and managing the signs and
effects of stress on your workers.
• Upskill your teams so they can assess workplace stress risks to the right standard, and identify where external expertise is required to support your
• Create a safer and healthier work environment.
This qualification is suitable for anyone responsible for managing people or for managing workplace stress. This may include:
- Health and Safety professionals
- Human Resource professionals
- Line managers and supervisors
- Occupational health professionals
Through studying the qualification, individuals will undertake in-depth, best practice learning from which they will understand the six key areas of work design and how to identify warning signs and implement strategic interventions.
Investing in the understanding and prevention of work-related stress and improved wellbeing can benefit your organisation in several ways. This qualification will help you to:
- Build valuable in-house expertise
- Improve staff attendance levels and reduce absences
- Boost staff performance and productivity
- Enhance your organisation’s reputation
- Build organisational and workforce resilience
- Reduce the threat of litigation
- Create a safer and healthier work environment
This qualification will give you confidence that your team is trained in HSE’s current approach to managing and controlling stress at work. By adopting the principles taught in this qualification you can empower your employees to create a positive workplace, and significantly reduce the causes and effects of workplace stress
|KEY PRINCIPLES||1.1 Understand common terms and the relationships |
between work-related stress, pressure and mental
1.2 Understand the prevalence and costs of stress
and mental ill-health in the workplace
1.3 Recognise the signs and effects of work-related
1.4 Understand the responsibilities of employers to
workers relating to work-related stress (including the
role of health and safety, HR, Occupational Health
and line management)
|IDENTIFICATION OF RISK||2.1 Understand the causes of workplace stress |
2.2 Apply the HSE’s Management Standards
|IMPLEMENTING INTERVENTIONS||3.1 Develop practical options to address and reduce |
3.2 Develop practical options to manage effects of
stress and its impact in the workplace
3.3 Develop ways to continually improve the
Respond to a workplace scenario, identifying the causes of stress and recommending interventions to reduce
and manage the effects
Achieving the qualification
The qualification has one unit assessment: a multiple choice assessment. It is an open-book assessment, so
you will be able to refer to your course book and notes. You will be presented with a realistic workplace scenario,
and asked 20 multiple-choice questions based on the course learning outcomes .
The aim of this assessment is for you to practically apply your knowledge and understanding gained from your studies of the MSW
You must achieve a ‘pass’ (60% or higher) to be awarded the qualification.
Date of assessment
Your assessment will normally take place at the end of the day’s training (if taught in one day). If you are
studying by distance or eLearning, you should have access to the assessment once you have completed all course content. You will have one hour to complete the
Submission of the assessment
If taught face-to-face, you should leave your completed assessment with your course tutor for marking at the end of the day’s training. If you have studied
via eLearning, course tutors will provide you with information on how to submit your assessment.
To avoid any malpractice issues the course tutor must confirm each learner’s identification before they undertake their course of study. Your assessment
must be entirely their own work. By submitting your assessment for marking, you are declaring that it is your own work. Falsely claiming that an assessment is
your own work is malpractice and NEBOSH may impose severe penalties, as set out in the NEBOSH Malpractice Policy.
Youwill receive a ‘Pass’ (60% or higher) or ‘Refer’ (59% or lower) for your assessment.
NEBOSH aims to issue results within 24 working days of The date of the assessment. However, results may be
issued after the deadline dependent on any moderation undertaken.
You may re-sit your unit assessment if you were referred. There is no limit to the number of times you can resit a
It is expected that this qualification will be delivered over the equivalent of one day . Available on face to face and online live training