NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work, is an introductory level qualification that looks at health and safety risk
management at work and the process to be adopted for controlling health and safety risks caused by workplace hazards. This qualification has been designed to assist staff or volunteers involved in managing workplace risks and who undertake risk assessments, to confidently identify sensible and proportionate precautions to control the risks in the workplace. The syllabus and accompanying workbook have been developed by NEBOSH, in conjunction with Great Britain’s Health and Safety Regulator, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and is based on published HSE guidance. On completion of the course, learners will:
• Understand that risk management is about taking practical steps to protect people from real harm and suffering rather than a bureaucratic back covering exercise.
• Understand how to identify hazards that may need controlling and the resources that can be used to assist in this.
• Use simple, HSE tools and methods to confidently manage risk in a low to medium risk premises
• Evaluate risks in a proportionate and sensible manner.
The NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work is ideal for anyone involved in managing workplace health and safety risks including those who undertake risk assessments. The content will be particularly useful to employers, managers, supervisors, union representatives, SHE champions and health and safety representatives.
This qualification will help you to:
- Identify hazards and be aware of some of the resources that can help
- Assess risks in low to medium risk premises using simple HSE tools
- Evaluate risks in a proportionate and sensible manner
- Identify suitable control measures
The NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Risk Assessment at Work will help you to:
- Create a safe and healthy work environment
- Have confidence as your employee will be trained in HSE’s current approach to health and safety risk management
- Ensure your organisation has valuable in-house risk management expertise
- Upskill your teams so they can carry out risk assessments in the right way and to the right standard
Employers looking for more information on how NEBOSH qualifications can benefit your organisation, can find out more on our Guidance for Employers page.
1 .Why manage health and safety risks
The reasons for managing health and safety risks including competence of those involved and the importance of consultation with relevant workers.
• Identifying and understanding the risks
• Controlling the risks
Effectively manage risk, which will involve identification and understanding of risk potential and its control.
3.Managing risk: Sources of information and the application of HSE risk assessment tools.
Where to find sources of information to help identify and manage risk, and the application of the HSE risk assessment tools.
Length of the course
This one-day qualification has a minimum of six hours study with a recommendation of one hour for the assessment, which means it can be completed in just one day.
On-demand only. Registrations can be made at any time pre-course
and up to 10 working days from the assessment date.
Approximately 1 hour
Learners are required to complete all parts of the assessment to achieve a pass. If a learner does not achieve a Pass, you are expected to work with the learner to support them to achieve the required standard.