Hazardous substances and materials may be found in any workplace, these can range from substances which can cause death or serious injury.
Are you aware of hazardous equipment and materials at your workplace?
Hazardous substances may come in various forms: solids, liquids, powder, granules, dusts, vapors, gases, smoke, fibers, mists, pastes, bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi .
Harmful effects can be acquired from hazardous materials through inhalation, ingestion, injection, and absorption through the skin and eyes.
Exposure to hazardous materials commonly used in the workplace can lead to variety of short and long term health effects such as below:
- Poisonous/ lethal effects.
- Sicknesses such as nausea and vomiting
- Lung damage such as emphysema or asthma
- Skin rashes and burns
- Genetic damage
- Birth defects
To avoid the above effects, some procedures are necessary to perform at your workplace.
- Establish HSE procedures and act accordingly
- Do maintenance and perform inspection regularly
- Make sure all chemical substances are properly labeled and stored.
- Wash properly and thoroughly after the contacts with solvents or chemical substances
- Always wear required PPE
- Get first aid kits ready and handy
- Provide emergency contacts in visible areas
- Carry out suitable and sufficient risk assessment
- Provide training, information and instruction
For more practices and information,
QHSE International team of consultants help organisations across the region in developing HSE plan, policies, and procedures. Keeping workplaces safe and accident-free.
Contact us for more details +971 4 443 1124.